Thursday, May 24, 2007

I remember the day you were born...



It was 6 years ago today. It was a Thursday and I was teaching at Northwood Elementary. I headed in to school like any other day. I remember starting to feel contractions but didn't think too much about it; it was still a week before your due date. However it was during the spelling review that I started to realize that the contractions were getting stronger. My classroom aide told me I should go home. I waited until lunch time and then went down to the principle's office and told him I was going to go have my baby!
Providentially it was raining that day. Bob was working construction at the time and they weren't able to work so he was home when I got there. We started timing the contractions, took a walk, I stood in the shower for a while...finally we decided to go to the hospital. Grammie was in Grand Rapids so she drove down and went with us. When we got to the hospital I was dilated to 4 cm and they admitted us. After a while the contractions weren't getting any stronger so the doc said he was going to break my water or send me home. I said, "break the water, I'm not going home!". I immediately had a crazy, intense contraction. I was hyperventilating and waving my hands because they were tingling. I decided to get in the tub to labor for a bit in the water but as soon as I got in I felt the urge to push so they got me right out. The nurse said they were just going to get me right back into the bed so they didn't bother putting my gown back on. I walked out of the bathroom into a room full of people. The mid-wife said, "my, that's a lovely outfit you've chosen." If I wasn't in the throngs of labor with no drugs I might have been really mad but now it's just funny. Within minutes I was back in bed pushing and after 15 minutes of pushing you were born! We were all amazed at how quickly you arrived. Daddy cut the cord and they cleaned you up and we held you. Then we read a Pslam and thanked God for our precious baby girl! A short time later Bob looked at me and said, "honey, I think you have a rash." I was thinking a rash from what??? Later when I got up and went to the bathroom I realized I had pushed so hard I had broken blood vessels all over my face, neck and shoulders; I was covered with little red spots. Thank goodness for Cover Girl!
So that's the story of the day you were born my sweet Abigail. Our lives have never been the same but I wouldn't change it for the world! I love you!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Sniff, sniff! I shoulda had a hanky handy. I remember those overwhelming feelings of amazement and joy when I first held you, Abigail! You are our precious gift! We love you. Hugs and kisses on your birthday, Grammie and Poppy

*love2scrap* said...

lol - very "eve-like" hmm? isn't it funny how nothing else matters when you are in labor? all decency goes out the window...