Thursday, April 5, 2007

The mommy's obsession


So some of you have posted weird things about yourselves...here's one of mine. About the time Abigail really started playing with toys I noticed that I had a need to have everything in it's place. My friend Tracy will attest to this obsession. Abigail had this little tea set with a tea pot, platter, tea cups and saucers, and cream and sugar bowls. It was set up on her little table and I think I would re-set that thing up 4 or 5 times a day, matching the cups and saucers and putting each piece in the proper place. Then there's the children's books. They have to be organized by type; picture books, Dr. Seuss books, paperbacks, Golden books and board books, they can't be mixed up. And the biggest, weirdest part about this whole toy obsession is that it drives me crazy if there's a piece or part of a toy missing. It used to be that I couldn't go to bed at night until the piece was found. Puzzles drive me nuts, I try to keep all the pieces together but they just love to dump them.
I have noticed that recently my obsession is not as strong. We have a number puzzle and #17 is missing and I haven't even done a major search for it. I think it got to a certain point where we had so many toys that I just couldn't keep up anymore or maybe I've relaxed a bit or maybe both. The books however are still arranged, I don't think I'll let that one slip...maybe I should volunteer at the Library. Well, I guess it's all part of the mommy metamorphosis; we're constantly having to change how we do things and evaluate our priorities. Let the tea set be all jumbled up...it doesn't even bother me! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can absolutely attest to this obsession. She is not exaggerating! I would consider it an amazing accomplishment just to retain all of the pieces of the tea set, let alone keep it set up!