Monday, April 23, 2007

Happy Birthday Dear Poppy


Today is my dad's birthday. Here's just a few of my special memories of my Poppy.
  • Father/daughter birthday trips to Traverse City. I always loved breakfast at the Omelet Shop!
  • When I broke up with my first boyfriend in high school and I was crying about it, he hugged me and I'm sure that I remember a few tears on his cheeks.
  • Playing P.I.G. while manning the grill.
  • The way that all the people of our church (where he was a pastor) loved him and depended on him.
  • When he runs out to the store or on an errand, he always comes back with something small for mom, like her favorite candy bar or some flowers, just because he loves her!
  • Playing board games with the family and these days with his grandchildren.
  • My wedding; Dad officiated and it was beautiful. I'll never forget the sweet things he said when he handed me over to Bob.
  • And I could never leave out the "Ants in the Pants" laugh. :)

I love you dad. Thank you for providing me a wonderful example of a Godly father and husband. Thank you for loving mom in the special way you do and for always being there for us kids!!! I'm so proud to have you as my Poppy! Happy Birthday!!!!

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Susie,
There are many more memories I still cherish. I must admit that tears come to my eyes every time I hear the country song "I Loved You First" because that was exactly how I felt at your wedding. Thanks for making my birthday special -again!
Your Dad