Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Chompers


Once someone told me, "Only floss the teeth you want to keep." At the time I thought it was somewhat profound but it hasn't sunk in enough for me to floss every day. In fact I usually only pick up the floss when I know I have a cleaning coming up. Then the hygienist will tell me what a great job I'm doing and after the appt I go back to not flossing until the next cleaning shows up on my calendar. So I was just wondering, am I normal in my undisciplined flossing? Or do most people keep their gums healthy by daily flossing? And does it really take flossing every day if they always tell me what a great job I'm doing, even if I had only been flossing regularly for the past two weeks? Maybe it will all catch up to me one of these times???
Another funny thing about me and my teeth is that sometimes at night as I'm heading to bed I feel the urge to be rebellious but who can I rebel against..."AHHH, the dentist!" I think, "I'll go to bed WITHOUT BRUSHING MY TEETH!" Of course the ironic thing about this is that the dentist, although he encourages me to take good care of my teeth, gets paid when I don't take good care of my teeth. WACKY!

4 comments:

Jill said...

I'm a totally lazy non-flosser. Can hardly summon the energy to floss a couple of times before going to the dentist. I once admitted this to a hygenist. She scolded me and then, perhaps deciding I was incorrigible, told me that using mouthwash pretty often is almost as good.

Maybe we should start a nice-girls-with-hidden-rebel-tendencies support group (I don't think you talk too much, or I wouldn't invite you to my support group).

There's no way I'm gonna start flossing, though.

Mrs. Overbeek said...

Thanks for your honesty! It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. And I'm totally in for the support group!! :)

Peggy said...

I confess that I'm a life member of the no flossers. I use the mouthwash -- and have had the hygenist say I'm doing a good job flossing.

*love2scrap* said...

I am totally a flosser. That said, I go in on Thursday to get a decayed tooth pulled. and the rest are barely making it. I think it is genetic. Tom doesn't floss with any regularity and his teeth are great. humpf