Saturday, September 8, 2007

Bob was right...

When Bob and I first met in a Bible study through InterVarsity, 11 years ago, he didn't really like me because he thought I talked too much. Well I've really noticed recently that I do talk too much. Some friends brought dinner over on Wednesday and after the kids went to bed we were sitting around talking, but I totally talked the entire time. Then last night we did a "Girl's Night Out" and I know I was talking too much again. What's more...I'm an interrupter! I know I am. It's like I can't stop myself in the midst of the conversation. Something comes to my mind and I just can't wait for a lull. Then later I feel badly and wonder if the person I interrupted noticed that I did it and if it was upsetting to them???? So I just wanted to say to all those who have had to listen to my ramblings and to the countless who I've cut off during conversation...I'm sorry. It's something I'm going to work on. I need to be quick to listen and slow to speak (James 1:19).

4 comments:

Megan said...

Susie,
I love how talkative you are! That's what makes you so fun! And with Bob gone, you are definitely in need of some adult conversation, so I'm glad you had a good time talking away. I do know what you mean though...as a fellow "talker," I sometimes worry that I can monopolize conversations and bug people. I guess quiet people have their insecurities too. :-)

Jennifer said...

You have never once annoyed me with your talkativeness! It is always fun and enjoyable to be with you.

I do know what you mean, though, about wondering what other people think. I can't seem to find a happy medium myself. I often find it difficult to talk in groups, but one-on-one I'm much better. Sometimes I worry that I'm too quiet and people will think me antisocial, boring, or worse. Other times I know I can talk on and on about something and wish I could have known when to shut up!

It's actually encouraging to know that other people struggle with the same insecurities. Thanks for posting this!

boqpod said...

My brotherly advice: Practice, practice, PRACTICE. Make a statement...then count to 8...before uttering as much as one syllabic element.

Peggy said...

It must be genetic :-) I've been trying to work on this for a while (I won't tell you how long!)