Saturday, September 22, 2007

A field trip to the dentist





On Wednesday we made our semi-annual trip to our friendly pediatric dentist. The kids all think he's cool because he shoots his rubber gloves across the room trying to make baskets in the trash. He's very nice and his office is pretty fun for the kids so going to the dentist is a treat. It was funny because Joshua insisted on wearing his cowboy boots with his athletic shorts and the dentist remembered him because he had worn the same thing the last time we had a cleaning. It made him seriously chuckle! I think if we come back in 6 months and Joshua isn't wearing his boots with shorts the doc will be disappointed!
This time Josiah was supposed to have a cleaning too, except he wasn't into it. I tried sitting in the chair with him...until one of the hygienists came and said that they don't let parents sit in the kid sized chairs. So he didn't get a cleaning but the doc did look at his teeth and told me that I needed to get him to stop sucking his thumb as soon as possible. Yeah right! He has already told me that both Chloe and Josiah will need "work" so why should we all be miserable trying to keep him from sucking his thumb? I'm just not up for that right now.
The good news was that all the kids are still members of the "No cavity club"! I love that! I guess I'm doing alright so far with the kid's teeth...even though my own dental hygiene is questionable.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

He told us that Eliana would need work in the future, too. She has a cross-bite. He told us not to stress about weaning her from the thumb now, though. He recommended that we wait until she has an interest in stopping. I guess the damage is done at this point, and if she's not ready to stop then she'll just damage whatever they put in her mouth anyway. I say don't worry about it for now!

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

As someone who's been employed in dentistry for 32 years, I say minimize the damage as quickly as possible & save your pocketbook in the future. Stop thumb sucking as soon as you can, and you will save dollars. Let it go unchecked, and your orthodontist will become a rich man & your child will suffer with braces that much longer.