Monday, September 17, 2007

It seemed like such a good idea...



This morning I was going to change the sheets on all the beds. Well let me tell you how difficult it is to change sheets on beds that are so tight in the space you can't move them away from the wall....it's VERY HARD. So at the thought of the struggle I was in for I decided to separate the boys and girls again, getting rid of the play room. I thought this also made daily clean up easier, girls pick up the girls room and boys clean the boys room. I didn't think about it much, I just started doing it. Well, the morning didn't go very well. The kiddos were all over the place, the littles getting into things and such, the big kids picking on each other and the mama just wanted to get the job done. In the midst of the change I also decided that Josiah would move to the toddler bed and out of the crib. The crib he was sleeping in was kind of falling apart. I'd find screws on the floor beneath it and have to search where it came from. I didn't think that was so good. I was just waiting for the day he jumped a little too much and it came crashing down. He has also learned how to climb out...so what's the point anyway. So the move involved taking down the crib and putting together the toddler bed. I also got rid of some toys and went through some clothes. It really was quite productive but as I said, the kids were not handling my involvement in the project very well. I had the job mostly done by lunch time. Over all I was quite pleased with my work. After lunch the moment of truth arrived...would Josiah stay in the bed for nap time or would it be a battle all afternoon. I decided to lay it all out there for him. I explained in simple terms that "out" got him a spank but "staying in" would be no spank. When I asked him if he understood he nodded and said yes in his sweet little voice. I closed the door and waited...and much to my surprise HE WENT TO SLEEP! Didn't get out once. YIPPIE YAHOO!!!
Of course we had to do school this afternoon because I was re-arranging furniture all morning and it did dawn on me that now I have littles sleeping in both bedrooms all afternoon and all the toys are in the bedrooms so Joshua and Abigail will have to get anything they might want to play with out of the bedrooms BEFORE the littles go to nap. And of course now I remember that this was one reason I wanted the toys in a separate room...so there would be access while the others were sleeping. OOPS. Oh well, I still think I can make it work. If not I'll have another really bad morning moving it all back. Except this time it might not be so bad because I wouldn't have the crib to deal with. I'll keep you updated on how this works out. :)

1 comment:

Beek's Fam said...

Goodness!!! Sounds like you were on a mission! I was like that the other day and cleaned out Faith's room. Took me over 2 hours to get it all organized. I can't imagine doing what you did with 4 kids around! It was hard enough trying to keep Faith entertained while doing what I did. But I got it done! That's cool that Josiah stayed in bed. Very exciting! Hopefully that continues!