Monday, November 5, 2007

Isn't it ironic?

Last night as I was leaving our church Covenant Group meeting my dear pastor said, "Can you make it through one more night?" I assumed he meant that I would make it through one night and then the next day I would tell myself, "Just make it through one more night." I told him that I didn't have a choice. But of course by the grace of God, I'll make it through one more night and then one more and then one more...
The story gets ironic at about 1 am. Chloe started crying and when I went to check on her Abigail said, "She's puking." Being on puke patrol as a single parent poses a dilema...do you stay with the child or take care of the mess??? When Bob is home and we have a sick kiddo, I ask him, "Do you want the kid or the mess?" He always chooses the kid but I always ask anyway. So I had to improvise. I got Chloe into the tub and left her there while I changed her sheets. She just happens to be my child who hates being in the tub anyway so she was crying the entire time. It all ended up being okay. She settled down but ended up wanting to sleep with me...not that I really wanted a pukey kid in my bed but I agreed because I just wanted to go back to sleep! In the end I think it was just a case of "too much weekend". She had no fever and never threw up again. I'm so glad for that because I just don't think I could handle a house full of puking kids right now. But then again, I guess if they were all puking I wouldn't have a choice. Just when we think we can go no further, when we think we couldn't handle one more thing...one more thing happens. But God gives us more grace and we do make it through one more night.

2 comments:

boqpod said...

As a brother-in-Christ (& having our house back in Annapolis full of USMC-bound midshipmen on weekends) please allow me: Keep asking Bob "The Question" but when he takes the kid say smirkingly, "Can't handle the mess, eh?" :) (My apologies to Bob)

Judi & I were laughing reading this. Your's is the 2nd blog tonight about puking kids.

Two of the three puke-events for Abigail happened far from home & upon Judi resulting in a quick wardrobe change...at the nearest clothing store. Sick kid = shopping for new clothes. Irony Score: 5/10.

Edie Guess said...

Susie - you are so right on with how when we think we can't possibly handle one more thing - God gives more grace! Isn't HE amazing!