Saturday, November 3, 2007

I remember the day you were born...


November 4th, 2002. My mom was visiting and also our friend Jackie had come to visit for the weekend. My mom and Abigail and I had to take Jackie to the airport in Columbus, OH. During our drive back to Dayton I said to my mom, "Just so you know, I'm having contractions." I wasn't too worried because later that afternoon I had a doctor appointment so I knew we'd find out if anything was really going on. At 3 pm Bob and I went to my appointment. The doctor checked me out and said, "You're dilated past 4 cm. You're in active labor. We can check you in right now." I wasn't ready for that...I hadn't even packed my bag! So I said I would go home and come back soon. We went home and I got my stuff together. As we were eating pizza for dinner Bob informed me that he had a flag football game that night and he was supposed to be the quarterback...if he didn't show up they might have to forfeit! He pleaded with me to wait to go back to the hospital until after the game. I was slightly upset but agreed. He reminded me that the hospital was right across the street from the football field, so if things got crazy we could rush right over there (he had really thought this out).
So we dropped Abigail off with friends and headed off to the game. Mom and I sat in the car while Bob played. I took a picture of him just so that I would always have evidence that he really did play football while I was in labor. So labor was getting pretty intense at this point (contractions 2 minutes apart) and the game finally got done, but Bob didn't rush right to the car...he was standing around talking! My mom got out and yelled to him to come right away. We were at the hospital less than 2 hours and Joshua was born! Our boy was 9 lbs 6 oz and 20 inches long. He has been energetic and fun from the get-go. I don't suppose there's any slowing down either (no there's not...I just saw him outside...hanging from the top of the lightpost! EEKK!!)


2 comments:

Katie L said...

Happy Birthday Joshua! What a tough, manly picture that last one is. Reminds me of another Beek.

Jeremy said...

Happy Birthday big man! I hope you enjoyed your monster truck party. We miss you and your family a lot.

Mr. Jeremy