Saturday, August 4, 2007

They're GREAT!






I've always known that my mom is great. In fact when I was in the 4th grade I wrote an essay for a contest for "The Township Times" a local paper. The title of it was "My mom is great!" I won first place. Personally I don't think it's because I had such fabulous writing skills, I just had a FABULOUS subject to write about! I thought it then and I think it even more now. She's amazing!
We got to Birmingham Monday evening. Mom had a conversation with Abigail earlier this summer about Laura Ingalls and how she wore a bonnet and Abigail said that she wished she had a bonnet. Mom made one for her...she loves it. She's been wearing it almost everyday. In fact Chloe liked it so much she wanted one and mom started working on it first thing the next morning. The kids had also mentioned they wanted to have a tea party so mom was right on top of that too. She had straw hats for the girls to decorate with fake flowers. Oh and there had to be name cards for the table so we made those too. It was so much fun getting ready for our fabulous tea party. Wednesday was the tea party. We were out in the pool playing before the big event and Joshua said that he was going to be a pirate because he didn't want to dress up handsome for the party. Then we started talking about how pirates don't have tea parties and we decided we'd write our own book similar to the ones we have, "How I became a Pirate" and "Pirates don't change diapers" by Melinda Long. The kids had fun coming up with story lines and later that day we wrote the story down and Abigail illustrated it. I LOVE THIS STUFF! But back to the tea party...mom made little cucumber sandwiches and chicken salad sandwiches and we had fruit and the cookies they had made and mom even set out little cream puffs that she had drizzled with chocolate. The best part was that each of the kiddos got to pick one of Grammie's pretty tea cups to drink out of. She served tea and chocolate milk out of pretty tea pots and we all drank with our pinkies up and called each other darling, except for the pirate that is. It was so fun!
The next day my dad met us at the McWane Science Center, which is a children's science museum and we had lots of fun there too. We even got to see Bob the Builder. We've been to Poppy's work, had a picnic, and played wiffle ball too. Oh and how could I forget Poppy's favorite game, Ant's in the Pants! It's been a most fabulous week that will not soon be forgotten!
My mom is great and so is my dad and I'm so thankful for the time we've had with them. I only wish it wasn't coming to an end so quickly!

3 comments:

Kacie said...

What fun! I'm so glad you guys are having such a great trip. What a blessing.

Beek's Fam said...

Looks like you guys had a great time!

Jill said...

LOVE all the headgear (bonnets, straw hats, pirate hat)!