Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pumpkin time!








We usually get pumpkins for the kids each year but we've never actually carved them. The kids were begging to carve the pumpkins that we brought back with us from Ohio, so today we took the plunge and did it. I wish I would have purchased some of those safety carving knives for kiddos but since I didn't have any we used the poke method. I printed up some stencils and the kids poked holes with push pins around the image. Then I went back and carved along their lines. Oh and before we got to that we had to get the guts out and let me just say that their pumpkin carving excitement was quickly dulled when they saw what was inside the pumpkin. Chloe wanted nothing to do with it! So I got to do most of the gutting too. In the end I was sitting at the table alone carving the pumpkins while the kids played outside waiting for theirs to be done. Once everyone had a carved pumpkin I decided we were going to toast the seeds, which I have never done before. I separated a bunch of seeds from the guck and found a recipe online. I went with one that called for butter, Worcestershire and salt. It took all afternoon for this pumpkin fun but in the end we were all pleased with our carvings and the oh so delicious pumpkin seeds! We will definitely carry on the seed toasting tradition...how come I never did this before? The best was when it finally got dark and we lit the pumpkins. The kids thought it was the coolest thing! These are the days I love.

No comments: