Wednesday, March 5, 2008

It's an honor


After over 30 years of service to his country, my dad has finally retired from the army. At his retirement ceremony he received the Legion of Merit Award. Which is awarded for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services and achievements. Dad doesn't like for people to make a fuss about him but it's important for him to know that we are so proud of all his accomplishments and that he has blessed people all over the world with the work that he has done as a Chaplin and Pastor, most importantly, his work to bring the Gospel to the men and women who fight to keep our country safe.

As a kid I remember looking at pictures of my dad in Vietnam. When I was a bit older he was called away for Desert Storm. I remember the Sunday he returned home, he was a Pastor and reserve Chaplin at the time, he came walking into the sanctuary in his uniform and said that he had an announcement to make. It was a surprise to everyone and it was a fabulous homecoming. When I was a freshman in college he returned to active duty and he and mom started moving around again. I remember when they had to move out to California. He was the installation Chaplin at Ft Hunter-Liggett. It was a challenge for him but he and mom created a wonderful ministry for the families that were stationed there. In recent years it seems that he was constantly traveling to do marriage retreats and retreats and seminars for folks who had just returned from a deployment. His has been a career of service and so I just wanted to say thank you, dad. Thank you for your service to our country and for being such a wonderful example for everyone you come in contact with. I'm so proud to have you as my dad! Now I hope you enjoy some much needed rest and relaxation!!! I love you dad!

1 comment:

*love2scrap* said...

wow - for susie's dad - thank you for all you and your family have done for us over the years!!