Sunday, March 16, 2008

Interesting Reading


During his deployment Bob has recommended several books for me to read that would help me have a better understanding of the culture he has been surrounded by these many months. I have gotten through two of the books he suggested "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortensen and "The Bookseller of Kabul" by Asene Seirstad, both true stories.
"Three Cups of Tea" is about an American mountain climber who develops a heart for the children of Pakistan and vows to build schools for them, especially for girls. It is quite an amazing story.
I personally found "The Bookseller of Kabul" to be even more interesting. It is the true story of an Afghan family written by a Western journalist who lived with them for a time. I just can't imagine the realities of the daily life of an Afghan woman. Not only do they live in a time of political unrest and war they also deal with the oppression of the tradition of their culture. It's a sad story but eye opening.
I would definitely recommend both of these books to anyone who would like a new perspective on life in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

No comments: