Saturday, June 23, 2007

The many hair styles of MY MAN

My man's hair has changed many times over the years. It's funny to me because mine is pretty much the same as it was in college (maybe that's not a good thing). There have been requests to see his curly hair and once I started looking for pictures I couldn't resist putting a few up so you can all see my sweetie in the early years. :)
Okay so you can't see his hair in this one but it's so cute I just had to put it in. Such a baby face!


Here's my hottie at a New Year's Eve party. At midnight he and another guy went out into the street without their shirts on and CRUSHED. This is a manly activity which involves two young men grabbing each others hands and squeezing as hard as they can. They must also make very manly growling noises at the same time. They "Crush" until one can no longer take it. This was a common practice among our InterVarsity friends of the male persuasion. Also in this photo he's showing off his tattoo, which he only allowed himself to get because he memorized the book of James. His purpose was to use it as an evangelism tool. Oh, and I took the picture because I really liked all those muscles!!! :) I was so caught up with the muscles I almost forgot about his hair...can you see how long and curly it was?



After the long curly look he decided he wanted to have dreads. This was my least favorite of his do's. He had a friend of ours put his hair in little braids and was hoping that they would become dreadlocks. It was a stage I guess. He was really into the bands P.O.D, Project 87, Zao and other Christian heavy metal groups. One time during this stage we were in a grocery store in Grand Rapids and he kept walking up to African American people asking them, "What's the best way to grow dreads?" I was mortified but the people he was asking didn't seem to take offense and advised him what to do. I was happy when this stage was done...so greasy and nasty!


So after the dreads he went back to curls. This picture was taken the day after we got engaged. We were at the beach in South Haven, MI with our InterVarsity buds. Notice I'm showing off the ring!


I think Bob got tired of taking care of his hair and his next do was a buzz. Of course this is the easiest of all his many styles and the one that he sports now.



This last picture was taken a year or so after we got married . As you can see Bob is no longer sporting the long hair and he's no longer sporting the buzz but he has grown the bushiest beard ever (be sure to click on this one to get the full "beefy beard" view)! He's such a crazy kid...always keeping me on my toes.

So I'm wondering...which one do you like best?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Eve and Keith were looking at this with me. Keith goes ,"Who is that guy with Miss Susie?" on pic #1. On #2, Eve said, "THAT is MR. BOB!!??! Is he wearing a wig?" I kind of like the curls myself, but I guess that won't "fly" with the Air Force! :)

Katie L said...

We've noticed that when guys retire from the AF, they seem to try to relive the hairstyle they had right before they came in. So maybe there will be curls in your future...

Kacie said...

Boy, oh Boy, those pictures sure brought back memories! Although Brian and I didn't remember the dreadlock stage- who is in the picture with him? I vaguely remember the beard stage- that was during the apartment days at Spring Lake?

Peggy said...

Love the pictures and the memories, Sus! I don't think I ever saw the dreadocks myself, but then we were down in Arkansas then. Personally, I vote for the buzz since I think it most suits his manly personality, but I think Katie is right about guys reliving the hairstyle they had before went into the military...your father is already talking about letting his hair grow back out!

Jill said...

These are so great! Since we've only known you guys in Air Force days, it's fun to see Bob in his wild-and-crazy era. Of course I'm partial to curly.

Kelly said...

wow! that's all i can say. just, wow!

Mr. J said...

I like beareded Bob the best!

Kari said...

I think I remember every stage! I think I did dreds for him once before we went on the mission trip to mexico...

abqsuez said...

Whoa!! That's tripy! You guys look soo young and happy. I kinda like curly hair Bob. Maybe that'll be his grad school look :) Glad (for you) that the dred think didn't last long!