Sunday, June 17, 2007

D - Day




Deployment day that is. Yesterday afternoon Bob's travel plans got changed so instead of leaving tomorrow morning he left this morning. We had a good day yesterday and got to spend a lot of time together playing, swimming, riding bikes, and hitting baseballs. We gave Bob his father's day gifts early. Abigail made a t-shirt for him with her foot prints on it and we made a pillow case with our picture on it so daddy could see our faces the last thing every night before he goes to bed and we'd be the first faces he sees every morning. He liked both gifts very much. After we got the kids to bed he had lots of last minute stuff to do. Still had a few things to stuff into his bags and then we could hardly get them closed. In fact one bag was so stuffed that a hole ripped in one of the seams. I had to do a stitch job from the outside because we didn't dare unzip it and have to close it again. I decided that the bag would be named Frankenstein because the stitch job was pretty rough looking. I just hope it holds up. I ended up going to bed around 1 am but Bob stayed up most of the night. This morning he was up at 5:20 getting ready to be picked up. At 5:45 he went in and kissed the kids. Then it was time to say goodbye to me. How does one say goodbye for such a long time? The words of course seem like they are not enough and it was hard to even get words out anyway. It's a very lonely feeling to see your husband drive away but the Lord brought to my mind several verses that I've been thinking about all day.
Nehemiah 8:10b "...the joy of the Lord is your strength."
Isaiah 40:31 "But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."
Psalm 121

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills—

From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Shall neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD is your keeper;
The LORD is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
The LORD shall preserve you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul.
The LORD shall preserve your going out and your coming in
From this time forth, and even forevermore."
Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

I'm so thankful for the many, many people who are praying for our family and who have promised to support and encourage us throughout this challenging time for our family.
--"My times are in Your hand" Psalm 31:15a

7 comments:

Beek's Fam said...

Susie and kids,
We are thinking and praying for you guys during this difficult time. I know this isn't easy. We love you!
Julie

Unknown said...

We are all thinking of you and your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Bob. We love you!! Keep your head up! We will see you in about 5 weeks!

Megan said...

Susie,
I teared up just reading your post. What a strong woman you are! Truly a Warrior's Wife! I'll be praying for you all!
:-)

Kelly said...

we are praying for you and the kids while bob is gone, and also for bob. i'm really looking forward to seeing you in a couple of days!!

Kacie said...

We're praying for you, Bob and the kids as well. When Bob's email came the other day, I had a great opportunity to explain to Jonathan what being a real soldier meant- that we wouldn't live in a place like we do if it weren't for people like Bob. Thank you to you and Bob for your sacrifice and willingness to serve our country.

Barbara said...

You guys are in our prayers too, Susie.

*love2scrap* said...

boohooooooooooo.... I will continue to pray for you - you are one strong woman and never forget that!