Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Blood, sweat and tears




Okay I didn't actually cry over this cupboard but I was close a few times. There was a little blood and definitely sweat! This is my homeschool supply cupboard and I was all excited to get it up and organized. But Monday night when I put it together I went wrong somewhere and it was lopsided. I got to the final step of putting on the doors and they wouldn't go on right because the unit was leaning a little to the left. I was really bummed out. At that point it was really late and so I left it. Last night I went back at it with gutso! I had to remove the cardboard backing, which is attached with a ton of nails (this is where the blood came in). I had to pry them out with a screw driver and scraped myself a few times. Then I went back and re-did all the steps. When I got it back together the moment of truth came...putting the doors on. TA-DA they fit right!!! I was so excited I was jumping around cheering for myself! It was a good moment, knowing that I was able to fix it myself. Yeah me! Then I just had to start filling it with all my homeschool goodies.
The greatest part was that this morning I showed the kids where all their art and craft supplies will be stored. They loved it and they spent all morning writing on the new white boards, painting, stringing beads and more. It was totally fabulous! I love it when I have a plan and I carry it out and it is successful. :)
So the homeschool room isn't totally finished. I still want to get alphabet cards to hang on the wall and I got a set of sight words that I want to use to make a "word wall" and I keep thinking that we really should have a little American flag in the room so we can say the pledge every morning (do you think I'm crazy?). Oh well, I think it's fun and the kids like it too! :)

3 comments:

Summer said...

We said the pledge every morning when I was homeschooled!

And one year we got jealous of our Catholic school friends' uniforms so my mom even ordered some for us and made us wear them the whole year.

You can do whatever you want!

Edie Guess said...

i think the bookcase looks great and I love the fact it has doors so you can close it and don't have to worry about the mess!

*love2scrap* said...

heh - you aren't crazy (yet)- you're just a new homeschool mom!! come over and rub a little enthusiasm on me, ok?

and I have had to take apart plenty of those stupid cardboard 'backings' from bookcases in my days, so I feel your pain and subsequent triumph!