Monday, February 23, 2009

Three Gates

This poem is in the A Beka 4th grade reading book. It is simple but profound. If I could only remember to put all my words through this little test before they come flying out of my mouth! Interestingly enough, our Sunday school teacher (Wrestling Mat) has previously mentioned the ideas put forth in the poem . Which is why I was so surprised to read it. The poem itself seems to be about gossip but I think it could be applied more broadly to every word we say.

Three Gates
If you are tempted to reveal
A tale to you someone has told
About another, make it pass,
Before you speak, three gates of gold.
These narrow gates: First, "Is it true?"
Then, "Is it needful?" In your mind
Give truthful answer. And the next
Is last and narrowest, "Is it kind?"
And if to reach your lips at last
It passes through these gateways three,
Then you may tell the tale, nor fear
What the result of speech may be.
-author unknown

No comments: